To enquire about the role, please get in touch by email via Managing Director email@example.com
AirEx is a new and rapidly expanding IoT start-up, designing and manufacturing the UK’s first smart air brick technology that helps householders reduce their energy bills without compromising air quality. We are looking to hire a CTO to execute the company’s business mission through development of the technical roadmap.
Climate change is the biggest challenge of our lifetime and this is an exciting opportunity to have an impact on this problem in one of the fastest growing areas of cleantech. AirEx’s mission is to lift millions of households out of fuel poverty and reduce the UK’s carbon emission with an affordable solution for the mass market. We are now entering an exciting new phase, with ever increasing demand from social landlords, energy companies and retrofit installers. Your role will therefore be absolutely crucial in scaling the business.
Roles and responsibilities
• Lead the Company’s technical strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritising development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all aspects of the product (hardware and software);
• Lead all engineering aspects of the product development, strategic planning and engineering decisions (hardware and software);
• Manage the product development / engineering team. Identify resource gaps and manage the hiring and expansion of the technical development team;
• Working with the company’s founders to identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services/products, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation and technical hurdles to the business success;
• Supervise the manufacturing process of all designs, hands-on use of design software to develop models and drawings of new products, identify solutions to improve production efficiency;
• Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders
• A minimum of five years of managing product development / engineering teams (as CPO, CTO, or equivalent);
• History of delivering hardware and software-based solutions;
• History of ‘scaling’ technology from idea to manufacturing (bringing a product all the way to the market);
• Ability to create user requirements and develop specifications;
• Experience with the IoT approach to product development, knowledge of software platforms and their benefits;
• Experience of deploying custom built electronics;
• Experience of project management and handling budgets;
• Have worked in the cutting–edge of the space, to deliver physical products with embedded software at a high-quality level from R&D to manufacturing;
• Mechanical Engineering / Electronics Engineering / Design Engineering degree (or background);
• Hands-on familiarity with CAD/SolidWorks programmes (desirable, not essential)
The ideal CTO will be passionate about the cleantech and energy efficiency industry, eager to work in a start-up and happy to roll up their sleeves and take on anything that comes their way.
• You are ambitious, resilient and results-driven;
• You are a motivated self-started, proactive and hands-on, and keen to work to fix issues quickly;
• You are articulate both verbally and on paper;
• You can challenge the status quo and make your own ideas known;
• You are keen to rapidly grow and develop with the company and are capable of taking on greater responsibility as the business grows;
• You are naturally collaborative in your approach and able to inspire others;
• You have a passion for start-ups and are interested in cleantech industry;
AirEx is a spin-out company from Sustainable Ventures; an incubator/VC that works with investors, entrepreneurial managers, corporate partners and public sector bodies to originate, build, grow, and exit sustainable businesses. SV’s portfolio companies benefit from the on-going support of the Sustainable Ventures management team who have already established 14 low carbon ventures, attracting over £250m in equity commitments. Furthermore, AirEx is located at Europe’s largest sustainable start-up hub, Sustainable Workspaces; a shared office space with over 250 members across 25 cleantech start-ups.
➢ Salary: £55k - £75k (depending on experience) + equity
➢ Becoming part of a rapidly expanding start-up operating in a really exciting sector
➢ The opportunity to work on a product that will improve the lives of millions of people
➢ Managing your own work and enjoying plenty of freedom as part of a small, tight-knit team
➢ You will be joining at a point where you can have real influence and a stake in the business
➢ A flexible and fun work environment filled with passionate and extremely capable people
➢ Collaborations with world-leading research institutions and companies
➢ A fully equipped workshop to quickly prototype ideas and hack something together.
To enquire about the role, please get in touch by email via firstname.lastname@example.org