Salary: £40k - £65k
At Vivacity, our goal is to make cities smarter. Our work reduces congestion by making traffic lights more intelligent, improves safety by spotting dangerous manoeuvres on the road, and supports autonomous vehicles & city management alike through real-time data.
To do this, we create cutting-edge products using machine learning, including sensors with on-board video analytics capabilities, and city-wide control and optimisation algorithms. We are currently rolling out thousands of sensors across the UK, and are seeking a passionate machine learning researcher to join our Smart Junctions team.
This is an exciting opportunity to take part in shaping the future of an energetic company dedicated to revolutionising the way our cities work while supporting the personal growth of every team member. On joining you can expect a warm welcome from a friendly team, with plenty of fun activities & a range of benefits.
As a traffic microsimulation researcher in the Smart Junctions team, you will be part of a group that’s developing new technologies to optimise traffic light control in cities. We are revolutionising the way that traffic is managed by leveraging our existing expertise in applied machine-learning and by giving more power to network operators.
The Smart Junctions team is cross-disciplinary and includes software developers, systems and hardware engineers, machine-learning researchers and project management. As a member of the team, you’ll have an excellent opportunity to learn, grow and shape the direction of our current and future products.
Your day to day tasks will include:
- Calibration and validation of microsimulation models (SUMO) using data from our vision-based sensors
- Working closely with machine learning researchers, contributing to our software stack, and upskilling where necessary to drive value from simulation for traffic light control research
- Timeseries data analysis and presentation of findings
- Collaborating with the broader team to deploy research outputs into the real world
- An agile workflow of daily standups with fortnightly grooming, planning, and retrospective meetings
- PhD or Masters in a relevant field, or other evidence of proficiency
- Strong understanding of traffic simulation calibration and evidence of applying this. Experience with other relevant types of simulation would also be considered.
- Willingness to upskill machine learning and software engineering competencies (python and C++) if needed
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Genuine passion for AI and driving cutting-edge research to real-world control systems
- Enjoy working as part of a fast-moving, collaborative team
While not necessary, the following experience would substantially strengthen any application:
- Software engineering experience with C++
- Experience calibrating SUMO simulation models or developing SUMO source code
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience relevant to traffic signal control
Vivacity welcomes applications from all candidates and embraces diversity within our teams. If you are in any doubt as to whether you would be a good fit, please get in touch, or apply anyway and we will get back to you. We look forward to hearing from you! Apply here: https://angel.co/jobs/signup?job_listing_id=699271&slug=vivacity-labs&source=company_profile&source_content=apply_button