Chief Scientific Officer
IntelliDigest Executive Director
Ltd is seeking to recruit an experienced and creative scientific thought leader
to serve as IntelliDigest’s first Chief Scientific Officer. The CSO is an
executive position that reports directly to IntelliDigest’s Executive Director,
with responsibility for leading development and implementation of a
transformational research agenda focused on our novel process of converting
food waste to high value biochemicals.
There is huge
demand for adoption of bio-based chemical with the global renewable chemicals
market estimated to be USD 49.0 Billion in 2015 and projected to reach USD 84.3
Billion by 2020, at a CAGR of 11.47% between 2015 and 2020.
waste more than 10 million tonnes of food waste per year in the UK. Hence, the
need for a more robust solution that does not only focus on eliminating food
waste but ensures maximum recovery of value in food waste to meet the soaring
demand for bio based /renewable energy and chemicals that are currently sourced
from fossil fuel and growing crops.
To achieve this,
IntelliDigest is developing an anaerobic automated/modular bio-upcycler (iDigest)
that can be used on site by businesses in the Hospitality and Food Sector (HaFS) to
completely and safely upcycle unavoidable food waste to high value resources
This is a highly
visible and challenging role as a member of the executive team. It is a
salaried position that requires full-time employment at our office in
Edinburgh, UK. The CSO role combines hands-on research, research team
leadership, and IP strategy and planning.
On the research
front, you will need to have acquired record of creative thought leadership in
research involving advanced molecular biology techniques,
synthetic biology, anaerobic fermentation, separation of fermentation broth and
polymer synthesis. Direct experience in conducting empirical research,
either experimental or observational, and experience in conducting systematic
reviews and evidence synthesis are highly desirable.
leadership front, the CSO will have primary responsibility for recruitment,
supervision and mentoring of IntelliDigest scientific staff; for developing
IntelliDigest’s research and working with a major OEM
Supplier with a focus to commercialise our product by 2021.
You will also be
the key IP strategist and executor. You will work closely with other members of
the executive team to define the company vision and strategy with regard to onsite
recycling of food waste to high value biochemicals. The CSO will ensure that
research agenda is refined over time in response to advances in technology
development and adoption.
The position is
available immediately with a commencement date 6 January 2020.
IntelliDigest’s CSO key responsibilities
- Naturally exhibit strong leadership skills, as well as internal
motivation and desire to ensure IntelliDigest is continuously a leader in the
bioeconomy/circular economy sector.
- Define and champion the anaerobic automated/modular bio-upcycler
- Work closely with entire executive team to deeply understand the
business model and all technologies and products to determine ways to deliver
the product to market and improve the business with advanced research
- Own and set the research plan for the next 12 months based on input
from all business unit.
- Develop ground-breaking technologies with a hands-on approach as
well as direct the research team to develop procedures and techniques for our product
development and commercial delivery.
- Work directly with a major OEM Supplier and teams to ensure that the
research activities are aligned with Product requirements and Engineering
- Understand best practices for applying advanced molecular biology
techniques, synthetic biology, anaerobic fermentation, separation of
fermentation broth and polymer synthesis.
- Work with our executives and IP attorneys to continue to build our
IP portfolio over time.
- Manage staff, set
timelines, mentor and appraise all direct reports including scientific and regulatory
- Provide scientific guidance on strategic and operating decisions,
setting strategy, and performance goals.
- Set up protocols for and personally handle regulatory documents and
- Convene and participate in relevant industrial sponsored meetings
of scientists and other stakeholders, focusing attention on biotechnology
developments, and advance understanding of the methods or findings that will
enhance IntelliDigest product delivery and wider adoption.
- Participates in multi-stakeholder Advisory Panels to review
IntelliDigest research agenda, its portfolio, findings of IntelliDigest-funded
research, and to prioritize new research ideas.
- Contributes to the national dialogues on practical bio
economy/circular economy strategic issues through presentations and
contributions to the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
Desired skills and experience
- Strong, concise communicator with excellent verbal and written
- Distinguished record of research leadership, including experience building
a successful biotechnology product, recruiting and mentoring of scientific
staff, and a record of scientific contribution in a focused area of synthetic
biology or polymer synthesis.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Ability to define and evaluate promising directions for research and
use a fail-fast, experimental approach and good judgement to direct the
development and evaluation of new techniques and approaches
- The ability to manage the development of processes and technologies
to integrate well into a complex ecosystem of products, aligning well with
- Ability to survey and report on the field of competing and
- Ability to integrate a
continuous stream of improvements and expected improvements in research into a
series of coherent product updates
- Ability to recruit and retain an exceptionally talented team of
- Experience writing patents, solid public speaker with the ability to
inspire our team and clients.
- Exceptional work ethic, team mentality, positive attitude,
highly-driven, self-motivated, passionate, action-oriented, entrepreneurial,
- 10+ years of overall industry experience with at least 3+ as a
leader within a research or technology development organization.
- PhD and Postdoctoral role in relevant sector required
- Hands on experience with complex project management
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Effective negotiation and vendor management skills
- Proactive problem solver
- Attention to detail.
First two years - measures of success
- IntelliDigest should have a clearly defined approach to product
development and commercialisation with clear milestones and costings.
- Attracted funding to set action on developed plan.
- Commenced lease of iDigest in the last quarter of 2021.
will be competitive and consist of a base salary, and incentive bonus.
Ltd is a biotechnology start-up company.
For questions or to apply
To learn more,
please visit our website at www.IntelliDigest.com. Qualified candidates are
invited to apply by sending a cover letter, CV, and salary expectations to info@IntelliDigest.com.
Please be sure
to put the job title in the subject line of the email and indicate how you
heard of this opening.
Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.