Chief Technology Officer
Position: Chief Technology
IntelliDigest Executive Director
Ltd is an award-winning biotechnology start-up company from Heriot Watt
University, Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Our focus is to address the challenges
of plastic and food waste adopting a more holistic and circular approach. To
achieve this, IntelliDigest is developing an anaerobic automated/modular
bio-upcycler (iDigest) that can be used on site by businesses in the Hospitality
and Food Sector (HaFS) to precycle (avoid waste) and later, to completely and safely
upcycle unavoidable food waste to completely biodegradable
We are setting
up our technical team which will be responsible for both platform development
and the engineering of our novel and proprietary process based on machine
learning technologies; primarily working with Google IoT and SAP Cloud
technology. Hence the reason we are seeking to recruit an experienced and
creative CTO with a background in software engineering, intelligence/data
science and cloud-based technology to serve as IntelliDigest’s first Chief Technology
Officer (CTO). The CTO is an executive position that reports directly to
IntelliDigest’s Executive Director, with responsibility for recruiting, leading
the technical team and developing IntelliDigest technology and product
strategy. The CTO will be working with a major OEM
Supplier with a focus to commercialise our product by 2021.
This is a highly
visible and challenging role as a member of the executive team. It is a
salaried position that requires full-time employment at our office in
Edinburgh, UK. The CTO role combines innovation, hands-on technology
development, technical team leadership, IP strategy and planning. The CTO will
ensure that innovation strategy is refined over time in response to advances in
technology development and adoption.
date for this position is 6 January 2020.
IntelliDigest’s CTO key responsibilities
- Naturally exhibit strong leadership skills, as well as internal
motivation and desire to ensure IntelliDigest is continuously a leader in automated
bioeconomy/circular economy sector.
- Work closely with entire executive team to deeply understand the
business model and all technologies and products to determine ways to deliver
the product to market and improve the business with advances in technology
innovation i.e. Identify, compare, select and implement technology solutions to
meet current and future needs
- Lead the strategy for technology platforms, partnerships and
- Represent the technological agenda in staff meetings and when making
- Manage and optimize infrastructure assets to satisfy internal
- Create overall technology standards and practices and ensure
- Consolidate our technology platforms and create plans for each i.e.
own and set the technology plan for the next 12 months based on input from all
- Track, analyze and monitor technology performance metrics
- Oversee all system design and changes in system architecture
- Keep abreast of new trends and best practices in the technology
- Take the initiative in thought leadership, innovation and creativity
- Work closely with Marketing, Business Development and Operations to
define and deliver new products and enhancements
- Develop ground-breaking technologies with a hands-on approach as
well as direct the technical team to develop procedures and techniques for our product
development and commercial delivery.
- Work directly with a major OEM Supplier and teams to ensure that the
technical developments are aligned with Product requirements and Engineering
- Manage staff, set
timelines, mentor and appraise all that directly reports to you.
- Convene and participates in relevant industrial sponsored meetings
of tech experts and other stakeholders, focusing attention on biotechnology
developments, IoT, I4, cybersecurity and understanding of innovations that will
enhance IntelliDigest product delivery and wider adoption.
- Participates in multi-stakeholder Advisory Panels to review IntelliDigest
progress and to prioritize new research ideas.
- Contributes to the national dialogues on practical application of
technology advancement in the bio economy/circular economy strategic issues
through presentations and contributions to the peer-reviewed tech-focused
Desired skills and experience
- Strong, concise communicator with excellent verbal and written
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Ability to define and evaluate promising directions for technology
innovation and use a fail-fast, experimental approach and good judgement to
direct the development and evaluation of new techniques and approaches
- The ability to manage the development of software technologies to
integrate well into a complex ecosystem of products, aligning well with business
- Ability to survey and report on the field of competing and
- Ability to integrate a
continuous stream of improvements and expected improvements in software
development into a series of coherent product updates
- Ability to recruit and retain an exceptionally talented technical
- Experience solid public speaker with the ability to inspire our team
- Exceptional work ethic, team mentality, positive attitude,
highly-driven, self-motivated, passionate, action-oriented, entrepreneurial,
- Previous working experience as a CTO (Chief Technology Officer) for
- MA in Engineering, Computer Science or similar relevant field
- In-depth knowledge of web systems architecture, design and
- Hands on experience with complex project management
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Effective negotiation and vendor management skills
- Proactive problem solver
- Attention to detail.
First two years - measures of success
- IntelliDigest should have a clearly defined approach to product
development and commercialization with clear milestones and costings.
- Attracted funding to set action on developed plan.
- Commenced lease of iDigest in the last quarter of 2021.
will be competitive and consist of a base salary and incentive bonus.
Ltd is a biotechnology start-up company.
For questions or to apply
To learn more,
please visit our website at www.IntelliDigest.com. Qualified candidates are
invited to apply by sending a cover letter, CV, and salary expectations to info@IntelliDigest.com.
Please be sure
to put the job title in the subject line of the email and indicate how you
heard of this opening.
Ltd is an equal opportunity employer.